• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lance speed mods and LED lighting project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick G

1977 Lance P32R-300
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sharing my upgrade project 1 phase at a time. I will post pics and speed tests for each phase of the project.

Started with 1977 Lance PA-32R-300 in stock configuration. No speed mods.

Speed as tested before project:
* 151 knots TAS at 75% power, averaged over 4000, 6000, 8000 ft flight levels at gross weight, minus 400 lbs (approx. 65% useful load).
* 65% power 143 knots

Each part was chosen based on feedback from the forum. Thanks to all who offered their inputs.

Phase 1:
* Wing tips: K2U with embedded Whelen LED lights
* LED wing tip lighting: Aveo Galactica LEDs
* Wing root fairing
* Tail beacon slimline cap with Whelen Orion 360 beacon
* Tail strobe: Aero LED Suntail

Rationale for first phase:
1. I can't stand the whining electrical noise.
2. All color painted parts are done first. (tail cone, wing root, wing tips). Everything else like gap seals are white.
3. Get everything rigged up first and flying level from new wing tips before messing with gap seals. Flaps will need adjusted to match gear lobe fairings gap.

The wing tips have a very different shape. I am interested in how this will perform. Some people say it wont' make any speed difference but mostly handing and maybe better climb. I find that hard to believe because
1. you can see the aerodynamic difference side by side.
2. There is a larger surface area with the K2U wing tip.

It's also worth noting that the K2U wing tip is lighter by a pound or 2. But this will be offset by adding wing root fairing, gear lobe fairings and gap seals.

20190914_160634.jpg

20190914_160537.jpg
20190914_160529.jpg

To run the wires for the wing tip lights - originally we thought we would have to move the fuel tanks forward to string the wires. But wiring actually runs behind the main spar.

20190914_181826.jpg

Attachments

• 20190914_160555.jpg
    20190914_160555.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back