• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Lance radio lights dimmer switch

boyd8885

'79 PA32RT-300T
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for the panel/radio dimmer assembly for a '79 turbo Lance. Actually, all I need is the radio dimmer pot, Piper part #67436-06. The part? number on the broken pot is 625-7882, if anyone has a pointer to such parts. Thanks.

mrdan27611

Reaction score
Mine went goofy and the avionics tech said he could order me one in for a large amount of money (in my opinion) or he could fix it himself on the bench. Maybe it would work but no guarantees. He patched it up on the bench in about 15 minutes and its worked fine ever since.

Reason I'm sharing is, maybe it is fixable??

boyd8885

'79 PA32RT-300T
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The variable resistance part of the pot works fine, so I can dim my radio lights. The pot also has two built in switches, one of which dims the gear indicators. The switch is stuck open, which leaves the gear light dim and not visible in the day time (hey tower, can you check my gear :)

For a temporary workaround, I have grounded that contact on the pot to leave the gear lights bright. If nothing comes up, I may have to see if the pot can be opened up and that internal switch repaired. I'd prefer to just change the whole pot if I can find one. Thanks.

Heftiger

Reaction score
The variable resistance part of the pot works fine, so I can dim my radio lights. The pot also has two built in switches, one of which dims the gear indicators. The switch is stuck open, which leaves the gear light dim and not visible in the day time (hey tower, can you check my gear :)

For a temporary workaround, I have grounded that contact on the pot to leave the gear lights bright. If nothing comes up, I may have to see if the pot can be opened up and that internal switch repaired. I'd prefer to just change the whole pot if I can find one. Thanks.
Hmm interesting. Our gear is always bright. I wonder if the switch is broken the opposite of yours.

boyd8885

'79 PA32RT-300T
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That could be true. The switch in the "closed" position grounds the gear lights, giving them full voltage (bright). If that switch is "open" (like how mine failed), there is an alternate path to ground thru a resistor, which limits the voltage and therefore the brightness.

The other switch on the pot when closed enables the radio lights dimming. I had to jumper those two connections in order for the radio lights to work (thru the potentiometer). If you don't hear/feel a "click" on the upper pot, then the switch has probably failed. If there is a click, then your gear lights may be grounded thru another path.

BGFYankee

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I might have this in the hangar. I'll take a look.

Latest posts