• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Laminated Checklist Recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my view, a bad idea. Prove it out yourself -- while on the groud, instead of flipping tanks turn the selector to OFF, and see how long it takes for the engine to shutdown.
It’s a few seconds longer than moving the mixture to idle cut-off. I’ll take a video once the ice melts.

Really? With 2 vents? You can hear air movement?
Yes. They both have to be blocked to cause a pressure differential that would later lead to a vacuum. If they’re blocked, there will likely be pressure due to the vapor pressure of fuel and/or the expansion or retraction of air in the tank.

It makes no sense that it’s best to take-off with 1/2-3/4 of the fuel system untested.

Accidents due to switching tanks prior to takeoff are due to switching to an UNTESTED tank just prior to takeoff. If you get from before run-up to takeoff power in under 3 minutes, then perhaps this isn’t the best technique for you and you might switch just prior to taxiing in order to provide sufficient time for a good test.

It’s a few seconds longer than moving the mixture to idle cut-off. I’ll take a video once the ice melts.

That is just not correct, I discovered that myself by serendipity once. After maintenance one evening I was taxiing the plane back to my hangar, and stopped for a quick runup. After the runup the engine quit, I realized that the fuel selector was still set in the OFF position. OK, mea culpa, no flows done for the taxi, but an interesting demonstration.

It will run longer in a carburetored engine, but both will run for while.

You've heard our thoughts, you are the PIC, do what you feel is best.

* Orest

Last edited:
The fuel selector is set to the lowest tank (or lighter side) on start-up and remains there through taxi. It is then switched to the opposite tank on run-up. This tests both fuel systems.
The fuel shut-off part of this thread was causing concern. In my Arrow, I start up on the less-full tank, taxi to run up area, switch to fullest tank before run up, and remain on that tank until first switchover in cruise 15-30 minutes in. Yesterday, I did the fuel selector shut-off test. During run-up, fuel selector OFF caused engine to stumble within a few seconds, and shut down within 10 seconds. At 1000 RPM, it took a little longer, but max 15 seconds before engine was spinning down. (I was fully leaned at the time. Hopefully that doesn’t start another bunfight.) I’m comfortable with my technique as a test, but always grateful to learn.

As for checklists, I used to laminate for the professional look, but I learned that my checklists evolve, so I now use thicker card stock paper, not laminated, so that I can write changes and notes directly on the checklist. I reprint every few years, with plastic covers and a spiral binding. No pictures lying around, but I think it still looks professional, it’s practical for me, and saves a few bucks during printing.

Latest posts

Back