• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Laminar Flow For Dakotas

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Luis from Miami contacted me to ask what we could do to speed up his Dakota (PA28-236) and to get it to cruise at least 140 knots instead of his present 133. I unfortunately lost his letter, and this will serve to establish contact again, I hope!

He has flap and aileron gap seals on the plane, and the factory wheel pants.

I have a little experience with speeding up the 236, and I recall getting 13 knots IAS increase airspeed and a 9 knot reduction in stall speed.

This was done by adding flap and aileron gap seals, flap hinge fairings, fuel tank fairings and smoothing the wings. Since the flap and aileron gap seals are worth about 5 knots TAS and the flap hinge fairings will add another 2 knots TAS, that leaves 6 knots available for the wing smoothing/tank fairings.

However, we also have to be able to convert the indicated airspeed into true air speed.

Luis' suggestion was that we could do some rigging and substitute SpeedPants for his existing Piper pants and gain at least 5 to 6 knots.

My thinking is more along the lines of fuel tank fairings and wing smoothing.

So I'm hoping that we will be able to get what he wants (and more ) at a price which makes sense to him.

Thanks for helping us out with your experiences!

Robin

Latest posts

Back