• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Laminar Flow big Spring sale!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, it is a clean bird, but on the same note if something like gap seals can give me more low speed stability even without a cruise increase to me that makes it safer at that critical phase of flight coming into land, especially since I operate out of a short strip. I know there are other people out there that produce the parts, but I am of the mentality that if I can get as good or better product from a smaller business then I like to help them out.

I received the nose wheel fairing this week, and it is a very nicely made part... I look forward to getting it fitted and installed soon and see how it helps... then on to gap seals next... Thanks Robin for making great parts for our little birds!....

your guys stuff looks great, I am just curious as to why you left out the comanches in your line of products? I really want to do some mods to my Comanche 260 like the gap seals and the fairings behind the wheels when they are retracted. is the market share just too small to offset the development costs?

Well, everything has a history, and mine was that I owned a Seneca 1. Being quite disappointed with the performance, I delved into my previous experiences, and decided to modify it. Took me about a year, but what I came up with, really transformed the plane. From a miserable 157 mph at 65 % power to 175 at the same setting. Range increased by almost 30% and single engine performance increased by 200 ft/min.

Excited by that, I bought a junker Cherokee 140 (for $5000) and applied the same mods. I soon realized that without modifying the gear, I would not get very much out of it. Then I also played with the exhaust for a year, with 80 different variations. In the end, I was VERY happy. I doubled the rate of climb an increased the maximum cruise speed from 128 mph to 157 mph.

Something that became obvious, was that the more needy a plane was, the more could be done with it. I think I was particularly lucky with those two.

The Comanches had already been worked on by Jim Bradshaw, who had some STC's for them. I'm not a copy cat, so I only ever flew one once, and thought it was great!

Development costs have really gone through the roof. My first STC cost me around $1000 total. Multiply that number by at least one hundred for current costs.

Best regards

Robin

I can understand and respect that. you guys sound like a great company to work with and I wish you continued success

I received the nose wheel fairing this week, and it is a very nicely made part... I look forward to getting it fitted and installed soon and see how it helps... then on to gap seals next... Thanks Robin for making great parts for our little birds!....

I would like to see how the finished product looks - and also how you choose to finish it. So photo or two if possible.

Robin was great at sending me info on the nose fairing and main fairings. (Thank you!). Unfortunately family matters are making me put off these updates until a later date.

I had Robin's Laminar Flow flap and aileron seals installed about 30 years ago on a 1975 PA28-140 Cruiser, and his landing gear fairings a few years after that. The mods did exactly what he said they would do.

I still have the airplane. And when a teflon strip which reduced friction between the ailerons and the seals finally wore out a couple of years ago, and I told him about it, he immediately sent me replacement teflon tape for his cost (less than $25). And then he provided direct over the phone advice from his place in Florida to my mechanic in Nova Scotia on how to manage the removal of the old tape and installation of the new.

I have the highest respect for the man and his products. :)

I would like to see how the finished product looks - and also how you choose to finish it. So photo or two if possible.

Robin was great at sending me info on the nose fairing and main fairings. (Thank you!). Unfortunately family matters are making me put off these updates until a later date.

So how time flies... The fairing is still in the box. I did set it in place and have the photo, so almost there... I build composite aircraft for a living, so one would think this would be an easy project to get finished... but it has not surfaced to the top of the list just yet.. have a few car projects to get out of the way then the airplane can get some love....

20160515_145636.jpg

It's a very easy install. Hardest part is locating where to drill for the tow bar bracket. (Which is not hard.)

Latest posts

Back