• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

KX-155 missing display segments.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanjiv

PA28-236
Reaction score
I know it's been discussed before when I was fixing this issue in my warrior couple years back. My new to me Dakota came with a KX155 which was also missing quite a few segments. So I clicked some pictures this time while fixing it.

Opened the faceplate with just two screws on either side.
View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1444261926.088802.jpg

Gently slide up the display from the connectors. Don't pull it outwards as it slides upwards. One has to be careful of not putting extra pressure because the gas discharge bulb behind can get damaged easily. This is how the display looked after removal.
View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1444262080.699665.jpg

Next I cleaned all the contacts with CRC connector cleaner (plastic safe) from Walmart. Once dried I cleaned it with pencil eraser and again sprayed with cleaner. Also sprayed the unit contacts where this display mounts.

View attachment ImageUploadedByPiper Forum1444262193.119621.jpg

After drying I reinstalled it. Just sit it in place and gently push down and slide into the connectors. Tested in plane this morning and now it's 100% functional.

I was told this method works if you are missing digits or they flicker due to bad connections. If the gas discharge is weak then you will see some segments dim and they get bright once unit heats up. That would need a new display which is over $400 now days.

This is the second time it worked fine for me on two different units so thought I would share.

Latest posts

Back