• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

KNS 80 RNAV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffSlutz

Commercial, Multi-Engine, Instrument, A&P
Reaction score
My Aztec has a KNS 80 as a second Nav radio. It was a high tech radio in its day. I know how to use it as a VOR or to fly a localizer or ILS approach.

My question for those of you who had one of these units back in the days before GPS is, how did RNAV approaches work?

My onderstanding is the unit internally can move a nearby VOR onto the airport and give you a radial to fly inline with the runway. If that is the case, you have to set up the KNS 80 with a VOR frequency, a radial and distance to “move it onto the airport”. Is that effectively correct?

If so, where did that data come from? Was the setup info on the RNAV approach plates of the day?

Does anyone have an old (pre-gps) RNAV approach plate you can scan or snap a picture and post for us to see?

In today’s world, our GPS approaches actually say RNAV (GPS) Runway 27 or something like that. Does it imply you can still fly an RNAV approach using that plate somehow with equipment like a KNS 80?

Looking forward to everyone’s thoughts!

Thanks all.

Latest posts

Back