• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

King ADF and indicator for sale

dsc45shooter

Reaction score
KR 87 and indicator. Removed for upgrade. Working when removed. No yellow tag or 8130. $400

N2897M

Reaction score
A-D-F? What is this technology? Does it have Bluetooth? Touchscreen? Voice Command? Graphical User Interface? Moving Map? Menus and submenus as deep as the fingers can reach? An EFB interface? Datalink?

Whoa!!! Wait. What? A piece of navigational equipment that just points to a station? That's it???!!! Can't imagine what usefulness that would have to the aviation industry.

I jest ;)

I marvel at how far we have come...and how quick. But sometimes I miss the old days.

(PS King? Who is this "King"?)

Last edited:

dsc45shooter

Reaction score
Oh yes. I got it in a pa kage deal with two kx155’s and dme. My plane actually has an ollllddd bendix adf and wire to the vertical. Looks like an old AM transistor radio.....oh wait, it is

Canuck

David Megginson (he/him)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More seriously, I still often tune in the nearest NDBs as I pass them on a cross-country. Pretty-much all of them are near airports, and I like the idea of just following the needle to safety if (deity forbid) all hell breaks loose in the air.

I also still have a soft spot for NDB holds and approaches for IPCs or as backups to RNAV approaches—they're not super accurate, but they're brain-dead simple to fly compared to messing with a VOR/ILS receiver or a GPS.

Unit74

Reaction score
(deity forbid) all hell breaks loose in the air.
Your political correctness is not appreciated. It's a product of the passification movement and the anti Christian war in the modern world. :rolleyes:

Canuck

David Megginson (he/him)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your political correctness is not appreciated. It's a product of the passification movement and the anti Christian war in the modern world. :rolleyes:
In other words, it would be politically incorrect from their perspective. :)

BentWing

Reaction score
What deity do you mumble to when you are up there wishing you were down here and your New Age electronics go bye bye?

Unit74

Reaction score
What deity do you mumble to when you are up there wishing you were down here and your New Age electronics go bye bye?
The most common one every heard on audio recording bar none.....

SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Canuck

David Megginson (he/him)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably the same diety you would have mumbled to 20 years ago after a vacuum or electrical failure in IMC.

The GPS constellation is a SPoF for RNAV. The electrical system powering your panel-mounted ADF and NAV receivers is a SPoF for radio nav. A mag compass is a SPoF for heading, especially if your engine mount gets magentised after a lighting strike (as mine once did). The static port is a SPoF for both airspeed and altitude information.

Robust systems are ones that minimise single points of failure and offer multiple paths to success: if the static system fails, you can still get a very rough idea of speed and altitude using your GPS. If there's a GPS outage in IMC, you can still navigate via VOR or NDB. If your panel goes dark you can try navigating with the GPS on your phone, or even try calling ATC on it. If your ailerons jam, you can do ugly turns with your rudder. etc.

Redundancy is good.

Last edited:

avnldr

Reaction score
I am interested... dsc45shooter sent you a PM...

I did a lot of NDB approaches in the past... Most are being decommissioned; however, I am finding lots of VOR's are in the same boat here in rural Oklahoma & Texas.

Honestly, using a GNS 430W or better feels almost like cheating to me. Yes, I'd take that hands down in real IMC. Practice (pre-loaded with challenges) leads to proficiency vice currency and NDB approaches are certainly comparatively challenging.