• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Just gonna leave this here...

pipster

Doug Ryan, Fake Pilot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how the hell do you auction off a valuable plane like this with no hobbs or smoh times?

reb

Reaction score
From the pics .
Hobbs 2059.7 hours. Can't see the tach time. Dual 430's. Air conditioned.

EchoDelta

Reaction score
The posting states that all logs are complete, and that inspection prior to bidding is the responsibility of the bidder. Presumably that means that any prospective bidder will be given an opportunity to peruse the logbooks and inspect the aircraft, from which one could ascertain, for example, engine and airframe times. Other than the auction aspect it's not much different from buying from an individual or broker.

N4986P

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw the Hobbs als at 2059. It’s owned by a college for flight training I presume. That would have required an engine OH prior to 2000 hrs. I would guess it has a pretty recent OH, but this is pure speculation. Could be a steal if so.

Azpilot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
91 or 141 training ops plow right past 2000 hours with regularity. Those are the guys who served as the basis for Lycoming eventually adding 10% to TBO for frequent-use engines.

5x5

Reaction score
how the hell do you auction off a valuable plane like this with no hobbs or smoh times?
Maybe they just added this, but right from the listing....

"All flight and maintenance logs are available for viewing.
Airframe Total time 1839.0
Engine Time since new 1839.0
No damage history."

As for TBO, we routinely run our 172s to between 3,000 and 3,500 hours with no problems at all. It's all about frequency of flight and no cold starts.

N4986P

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting the Hobbs meter has 220 more hours than those listed. I guess they did say it is currently flying. I guess those pics are a few months old.

Latest posts