• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Jeppeson or Garmin Nav Database Choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So at the end of the line and the airplane should be ready for flight test the beginning of next week. I need to decide on whether to go with Garmin or Jeppesen for database updates on the new and existing avionics. I have had Jeppesen for the GNC 300XL in my Warrior since 2004 and have been very satisfied with the reliability and speed of the updates to the card. I have Garmin for my portable Aera 660 and not thrilled, it seems that the Fly Garmin update process is not consistent and requires a lot of levels to get to the right one--then it takes about a half hour for the update to complete.

Now, I have the GTN 650xi, three GI 275 indicators and the Aera 660 portable to supply with Nav Data updates. Garmin makes it fairly easy to shop and has a OnePak option that will supply all of the panel mount avionics plus one Garmin portable device with one price. Looks like $799/yr for complete United States subscription plus Flite Charts and $649 without Flite Charts. Jeppesen is not so user friendly and will not even give any info without entering all of your devices into the application process. To do that you need each system ID which I don't have yet. There is an indication that the Jeppesen PilotPak may be a bundled option. Garmin also has a PilotPak, which may be the Jeppesen product. If so, the price for US Standard + Flite Charts is $999, which doesn't appear to include the Aera 660 (which costs $150/yr). So if the Aera 660 is included that basically discounts the system price $150.

With the size of the screen on the GTN 650xi it doesn't seem that FlightCharts would be a help. I currently use Foreflight for approach charts.

So, can anyone share their research and results on this subject?

BTW, my avionics shop tells me that the way this new setup works is that you update one NavData SD card and when you plug it into the GTN navigator it also updates all of the Gi275s. My guess is that the Aera 660 will remain separate as it updates by taking it home and plugging into directly my computer.

Last question (sorry I have a bunch) is about Garmin Pilot. Is there a benefit to buying this app for my Ipads? I currently use Foreflight which we are very pleased with.

Thanks in advance for anyone who has trod this path before!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back