• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

It seems more personal when you are hearing it in real time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Passen ... 20681.html

Yesterday on my way out west I noticed center making repeated calls that appeared to be going unanswered. One-sided conversation are common up here due to the vast expanses of airspace and one controller working multiple sectors, but this one was clearly different. Moments later was a call to what appeared to be a military aircraft by the cool sounding call sign with a "request", again I was only getting 1/2 the conversation. The request was to divert to 10nm south of Soldotna and look for an aircraft in distress or down that had placed a call to center stating: "We have lost an engine and are unable to maintain altitude". Sounded like a twin having a bad day.

A few minutes later the controller called a Life Flight with the same request, but this time the last message was more urgent, apparently the pilots final transmission was: "We are not going to make it, we are going down".

What followed was a number of vectors and altitude changes for the aircraft as they approached the point the pilot had dropped of radar. Within a few minutes it was reported the wreckage had been located and all the occupants had survived.

It felt way more personal listening to unfold in real time and I hope if it's ever my turn there is somebody of this caliber on the other end. To often we hear of all that was done wrong, this guy did an absolutely outstanding job.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back