• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Is my engine crooked?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlcenter

Reaction score
I purchased a 1975 Archer 180 in July. Had a prebuy inspection and an annual done with no major issues. But today my wife says Hey, you need to look at this! She misses nothing. It seems that when you look directly at the spinner the engine seems to be setting cocked to the left as you view it head on. To the right as the pilot sets.

I remember reading in the pilots basic knowledge handbook by the FAA that "Modern airplanes have engine canted to the counteract the effect of torque. I hope this is the case and not something else. A mechanic at my home base confirmed this but did not look at my airplane.

The thing that confuses me is that when I look at other airplanes in my hanger I don't see any canter. At least not as much as mine. I don't see another Archer 180 to compare it to. Maybe this airframe and engine combination required this much canter I don't know.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this airplane and engine configuration? I going to try to attach some pictures.[attachment=1:23dpfql3]P9030387.JPG[/attachment:23dpfql3][attachment=0:23dpfql3]P9030388.JPG[/attachment:23dpfql3]

Attachments

• P9030387.JPG
    P9030387.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 1,053
  • P9030388.JPG
    P9030388.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 1,065

Latest posts

Back