• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Is a 430 still worth getting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am having COM 1 problems. Just spitballing with myself here on my path forward. I really want a panel mounted GPS and I believe I can swing it in the spring in lieu of one of the other upgrades I was planning. This would solve my COM 1 problem as well as give me /G ability.

With foreflight, the only added ability I really NEED is the ability to fly RNAV approaches and to basically utilize the entire IFR airspace system legally.

I've love a GTN650 or something more modern, but the 430's are about half the 650 right now. But, they are old. Over 10 years, I believe.

This is probably a matter of opinion, but do you guys think it's worth falling off like 7-8k for a 430 considering how dated they are compared to the newer options?

What is the best bang for the buck in GPS right now? I have a Cherokee 140, so want to avoid "overequipping" it. I want actual ABILITY, not neccesarily just the appeal. But, anything I put in it will probably be in it for the next 10 years so I want to make sure it can be serviced, repaired, etc, for some time to come.

Latest posts

Back