• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

iPad vs Garmin 795 (or 796)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for real world observations between using an ipad with garmin pilot or buying a garmin 795 or 796.

In particular:
1). Screen brightness in direct sunlight

2). Subscription costs

3). Weather overlays

4). General overall functionality

It seems to me that the ipad is the economical choice, no monthly subscriptions or updates. Spending $849 on a gdl3d gives weather and backup horizon, not to mention a bit of traffic.

On the other hand, the 795 or 796 could be hard wired to whatever ADS-B solution that I wind up with in a year or two and might give me a better solution at that time

Before I spend $850 to "enhance" my ipad experience I'm just looking for comments from the field. It's a lot of money and I want to be sure I invest it wisely.

I know this topic may be a bit of chocolate versus vanilla as it may just come down to preference but I could use the opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Piper Forum

Latest posts

Back