• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IO-540-K1G5D Bendix D3000 Magneto Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otterf18

Reaction score
I was having some questionable magneto checks just before my annual in SEP18 so we removed the dual magneto and shipped to Kelly Aerospace for overhaul. They completed the overhaul and additionally replaced the block assembly, two coils and two dual gear assemblies. Reinstalled magneto, two new capacitors and retimed engine. Everything ran like a top! After 33 hrs the left mag failed inflight. Removed and inspected mag and the left points appeared to not be opening. Replaced points, reinstalled mag and retimed engine. Ran engine and performed numerous mag checks, everything A-OK! Next morning when getting ready to depart on trip, left mag totally failed mag check...engine would not run on left mag.
Returned mag to Kelly Aerospace for warranty repair. Quick turnaround. Reinstalled magneto, retimed engine....start, warmup and four magneto checks all flawless. Shut down for 20 minutes, restart for test flight...left mag failed mag check. Leaned aggressively to rule out spark plug problems and rechecked, same result. This time I did additional checks at idle. Engine would run on left mag at idle but very roughly and at lower rpm than on right mag. As I increased rpm and rechecked mags, the left became increasingly worse. No obvious anomalies on EGT’s/CHT’s. The plugs are Tempest iridium electrode style with 100 hrs and recently checked at annual.
Any Ideas!

Latest posts

Back