• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Introduction & Garmin Offers New Autonmi Feature: Smart Rudder Bias for Piston Twins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've got some existing news to share but first a quick introduction. My name is Joey Ferreyra and I’m a part of the Garmin Aviation Team and am focused on sales and customer experience. I’m in a newly created position designed to serve aircraft owners like you, by sharing updates on forums and owners’ groups that may be of interest and value to your ownership experience. I’m also here to listen about your experiences with Garmin and your overall ownership experience. As a pilot and aircraft owner myself, I would love to help make yours more efficient, cost effective and safe. While I’m in a new role, I’m no stranger to Garmin, having served for over a decade, primarily focused on marketing. Consider me another resource from Garmin and feel free to reach out with questions or just to say hello.

Now for the news, this morning we announced a new feature of the Autonomi family of automated flight technologies, Smart Rudder Bias. This solution is designed to help pilots of twin engine aircraft during a one-engine inoperative (OEI) event. With the combination of both GFC 600 and EIS TXi, Smart Rudder Bias helps provide an instantaneous response to assist the pilot with appropriate actions required to maintain control of the aircraft. This helps reduce the workload for the pilot in a high-stress and time-sensitive moment.

50721378956_6f4c2e035f_z.jpg

Help manage aerodynamic performance with Smart Rudder Bias
Twin engine aircraft inherently have aircraft controllability concerns in the event of an engine failure and pilots can expect a significant yaw toward the inoperative engine, resulting in an unstable aircraft state. In addition, due to a sideslip condition and a windmilling propeller there can be decreased lift on the wing associated with the inoperative engine and simultaneously an increase in drag, all factors contributing to degraded performance and a critical loss in airspeed. Smart Rudder Bias helps address these major concerns and immediately assists with controllability issues. This gives the pilot time to take the correct action required in order to better maintain positive aircraft control and help keep the aircraft in a safe flight condition.

Positively identify inoperative engine quicker
50721465622_654f2f859e_z.jpg

Smart Rudder Bias automatically detects engine power asymmetry by continuously monitoring the engine parameters using Engine Indication System (EIS) data displayed on a G500 TXi or G600 TXi flight display. By watching for a predetermined power differential between each engine, in addition to monitoring aircraft slip using the Attitude and Heading Reference System (AHRS), the system can detect the engine out condition and activate Smart Rudder Bias. When the aircraft reaches the manufacturer’s published minimum control speed (VMC) during the takeoff roll, Smart Rudder Bias is automatically armed. Once activated, rudder force is adjusted based on airspeed and power differential which aids a pilot in providing enough force to the rudder to help control a sideslip. A yellow annunciator for the associated inoperative engine is conveniently displayed along with autopilot annunciations on the G500 TXi or G600 TXi flight display, helping the pilot quickly identify which engine is inoperative. After the engine failure checklist is complete, Smart Rudder Bias is deactivated via a panel-mounted switch.

Smart Rudder Bias enhances ESP settings for OEI condition
Electronic Stability and Protection (ESP™) functions independently of the autopilot while the pilot is hand-flying the aircraft, to help avoid attitudes and speeds outside of the aircraft’s envelope. Smart Rudder Bias applies enhanced ESP settings that adjust pitch and roll protection when the system detects an OEI condition. During an OEI event, the ESP tolerances are increased for both pitch and roll. When Smart Rudder Bias is active, underspeed protection activates at a higher airspeed to help keep the aircraft away from the critical VMC speed and the associated loss of positive aircraft control.

To watch it in action, during a real engine-out event, check out this video:

Smart Rudder Bias for piston twin engine aircraft is available today for B58, B58A, PA-31-310, and PA-31-325 aircraft. The system requires both GFC 600 with the yaw damper option and EIS TXi, either as part of a comprehensive flight display system and/or dedicated display system. For those B58 aircraft that already have the required systems, a field software update is available for the GFC 600 system as well as for TXi (v3.12).

For autopilot programs that are in progress for the GFC 600 that also have EIS TXi piston twin engine support, like the Cessna 310R and Cessna T310R (serial numbers 501 and up) as well as the PA-31-350 can be expected to receive Smart Rudder Bias technology upon completion.

The balance of piston twin engine autopilot programs that are already complete require Garmin to update the STC with a flight test program to validate the solution specific to the make and model aircraft. This will take us some time to add these airframes and we appreciate your patience while we work this into our queue. These include the B55 series, B58P series, B58TC series, C340, C340A, C414A and C421C. If you operate one of these models, meet the requirements mentioned above (GFC 600 + EIS TXi), and are interested in helping us with this effort by allowing to use your aircraft, please direct message me.

Now, I’m anticipating some savvy and inquisitive questions and I’ll admit upfront that I’m not a twin engine pilot (yet). Though, there are several here at Garmin that can help me with responses. So I look forward to your thoughts and input as always!

Joey Ferreyra

Sales & Customer Experience Manager

Latest posts

Back