• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Interesting Observation today at the airport; a story.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipster

Doug Ryan, Fake Pilot
Reaction score
I often watch pilots do their check-lists here at the local fbo. More than half of them just get in and go.. with less than 3 minutes from engine start up to taxi. F'it, the prop is attached to the engine let's just go fly.

Today I observed a Mooney M20 operator acting like a new student. Spent at least 15 minutes from walking out, did the full tour and checking elevators, ailerons, checked both tanks with a 'dipstick', and even did a sump check under both wings. I'm like wow... He must be a new pilot. (Turns out he's NOT btw - got his ppl in 2012).

Shortly thereafter, what appeared like was his (I'm assuming this) his father in law delivering his wife and 4 year old looking son to the FBO. Eventually they walked out to meet him at the Mooney. I was really impressed by this dude's really extensive preflight, and care for his family. It took 30 minutes from the time they arrived, until he started the engine.

Engine run-up was perfect as I could hear it. Maintained idle speed for at least 5 minutes. He powered up to taxi, then tested the brakes. Apparently he was not familiar with the taxi-ways, as once he left the fbo, to get to the runway, he ended up doing a 180 degree turn to get to Tango at the intersection, it took a couple of minutes for him to figure it out... then he was off on Tango for runway 07.

Watched him taxi out. His (I'm guessing) father in law was waiting to observe him take off in the near-by pavilion (next to me). He had parked his truck nearby in the parking lot after dropping them off. He was an older heavy set man with a full beard.

Today was a bit busy at the airport due to the nice weather after a really foggy morning. My goal for airport watching was to wait until the Mooney took off back to his home base.

That was not to happen. As this guy drove down taxi-way Tango, I was waiting after airplane after airplane took off from Runway 07... mostly GA Cessna's and ATP Seminoles... where was he at? He was so meticulous and very procedural it seems. A short time later...

I see this same Mooney coming back to the FBO, approximately 15 minutes later. Only this time, his engine is at slightly high idle, and its 'missing'. It sounds like it's missing a beat every 5 seconds or so and it was extremely subtle. I'm like wow... You don't see this very often. Most pre-checks and take-off's around here are mundane. But this one I was amazed. A careful operator noticed a problem and decided not to fly, he didn't push it. Especially since it was obvious he had his wife and son on board. I talked to the father in law in the parking lot and he said "He has some issues". His tone almost sounded like he was disappointed with him?

After leaving the aircraft, the entire family were all positive & talkative walking out of the FBO. They were actually laughing! I was happy to see this today, as a good pilot did the right thing!
Good job Mr Pilot!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back