• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Interesting ATC scenario

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The other day, I landed at my home airport on runway 5. Runway 5 crosses both of the 9's. So when you land on 5, you cross 9R first, then 9L, then there are three taxiway turn offs beyond 9L that you can take to get off. The airport is KBOW, if you want to pull up a diagram.

I was cleared to land on 5. Once down, the controller asked me to taxi down the runway and get off at B2. As I taxied down, I had crossed 9R, but had yet to cross 9L, and he cleared an airplane for take off on 9L, but told the other pilot that an aircraft (me) was crossing downfield. When I heard him clear the other pilot for takeoff on 9L, I stopped and held short of 9L and told the controller I was going to do so. It seemed strange to clear another airplane for take off on an intersecting runway when I still had yet to cross and clear that runway, in fact I hadn't even arrived at the intersection yet. When I told the controller I was going to hold short (I saw the other airplane taking position on 9L), the other pilot confirmed of the controller whether he was still cleared for take off. Controller answered yes, and he departed, in the air long before the 9L/5 intersection where I would have crossed.

Once the other plane was airborne, the controller cleared me to proceed, but then told me that it was OK because he had told the other pilot that I was crossing downfield. I don't think anything was done wrong here, per se. I made the decision I thought was most conservative and stopped short of the intersection. I didn't give the controller a hard time and he didn't give me a hard time. All surface ops were conducted safely. But, I thought it was still interesting that he cleared the other airplane for take off on an intersecting runway when I was still a good ways away from crossing that runway and had a clearance to do so with no hold short instructions given.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back