• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Insight GEM 602 Engine Monitor, Gear Unsafe Light gremlin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflatt

Reaction score
Guys,

I bought my Piper Lance about a year ago as a fresh PPL and am just now seriously going places solo and with the family. I have the above mentioned engine monitor (until I can talk my wife into letting me put in a EDM 900) and have a couple of questions. The readings on the Insight have been all over the map. Cylinder 5 has read high a few times and the EGT are inconsistent across cylinders. The plane just came out of annual with good compressions and a clean bill of health. The engine is roughly 900 hr SMOH if that matters. I had the mechanic look at the readings on the GEM and he said he thought they all looked good and accurate. My CFI that I did my 25 insurance hours with taught me power settings and how to properly lean the mixture during cruise. We did note some squirrely readings on the GEM but nothing that was terribly concerning. Is this something I chase with the mechanic or keep flying as is if no other indications of engine problems come up?

Second, I have spent several AMUs chasing my gear unsafe light. Some XC it will not come on at all. Others it never goes off after raising the gear. My mechanic has had my plane on jacks three times trying to get it to light up with no luck. I have even tried to pull on the gear on jacks and can't get it to light up. The ammeter does not indicate the pump is running when it lights up in flight. Is this an issue I continue to chase or just accept that my plane is being difficult?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. As a (relatively) new owner I am trying to learn which battles to fight and which ones to live with. My family flies with me in this plane and I want to be safe.

I appreciate your input!

Latest posts

Back