• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Information On Aztec: Possible Purchase

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnggreen

Reaction score
I have taken a deposit on my present aircraft; a Mooney Bravo. I love the capability of the Bravo, and it has served me well for eight years, but. The but is that my mission is changing and I need to go back to a twin for the room and useful load. The choices are pretty obvious; Baron, 310 or Aztec. I know the capabilities and particulars of the Baron and 310 well but know little of the Aztec other than it's reported performance specs. The one advantage to me for the Aztec is the bullet proof Lycoming engines. After looking at what might be available, I'm pretty sure that I want the NA F model, turbo perhaps. Reliability is a really big issue with me. When I plan a trip, I don't want to cancel for aircraft mechanical issues.

I have some specific questions and then would appreciate any insight you might think pertinent to my education.

1. It would seem that the Aztec is capable of 170-175 KTAS burning 25 gallons. True?

2. Are all the F models zinc chromated or was that just an option?

3. Fuel cells; bladder and how much to replace them?

3. Hydraulic pumps. Appx. time between rebuilds?

4. Engine cooling. Is it an issue keeping the engine CHT's below 350 at cruise in summer?

5. Related to the zinc chromate question, what are the areas to be checked for corrosion?

6. Does the aircraft have a habit of leaking when flying in rain?

7. I assume all F models are 24 volt.

8. What are the main maintenance issues of the Aztec?

9. I believe they have Janitrol heaters. How long do they go between rebuild and what does the rebuild cost?

10. Does anyone have GAMI's and how well does it perform LOP?

I appreciate any input.

Jgreen

Latest posts

Back