• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Information needed on an Engine Monitor for N4364J...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this weekend I have read several postings and threads on Engine Monitors and the need to have one. after reading 385 postings about a Beachcraft A36 having an over temp condition runaway, and the Arrow that also showed an over temp while flying... and all the rest of the threads here IN Piper Forum world, I see that there really are several good reason to have one.

A friend and member of the San Gabriel Valley Pilots Assoc that has a Cessna 210 was leaving one night into IFR IMC heavy condition off the coast of Oregon, Over water, just as he was entering the overcast, he noticed an issue with one cylinder running away, and turned back to land.. lost the engine after landing on the taxi back... unplanned disassembly!...

Canuck has talked about WOT operation with leaning to give performance that I would like to match, but do not have the ability to see data needed to get it right. Others too have talked about the use of this data that is lost to me.... I need to better understand what is needed so that I can be informed on the needed equipment.

So I have started this thread to help he find information, ask questions, get input and see what others have done, and thus help me plan out what would work good for me....

So a little about why I fly, what my missions are, and how to complete them safely, timely, and fastly!..

I am a DAY VFR only flyer... I do not like to drive at night, so not that I cannot fly at night, I just choose not to. That may change....

N4364J is a 1967 140, with an O-360-A4A engine, with a 76x60 prop. about 550 hours on the rebuilt engine. One MX-170b radio, and yes, some new instruments would be nice, like -2- G5's someday. No autopilot.

My flights are 400 miles or less... over deserts, going from So Cal to Utah, and Tucson AZ. I will be flying to SE Idaho later this year that will be a 700 mile with 1 fuel stop. Only water I have flown over was the Great Salt Lake last year going to Idaho.

Currently, I have a CHT Gage on Cylinder #4, TC is under the spark plug... I can not easily to read the Gage in flight... will post photos of the panel next. Have never seen any reading over 300 deg F.... even leaving Tucson at 110 degF air temp and redline oil temps!.. The EGT gage is on Cylinder #3, and sometimes it reads to the right of mid point, mostly to the lower left side, and sometimes nothing at all... there are no actual Temp numbers on this gage. Have replaced the TC's for both gauges..

I normally fly at 9,500 headed East, and 10,500 on the return flight... Have set the RPM to 2500 using throttle and lean to stumble and back to smooth running. Averaging about 8.5 gal per hour.

So, the start of the questions. Looking at the JPI EDM-730, at a cost point of $1959, to the EDM-830 at $2575. is my starting point. is the additional cost of the 830 worth it??.. what is that buying... just a Tach??.. being a FP prop, is manifold pressure really a needed thing??. why not just use the EDM-730??..

Can fuel flow be added to the 730 later??.... I what to replace all the firewall forward fuel lines at the end of the year during my next annual... can it wait till then??.

Placement in the panel.... What is the best location??... refer to the next posting for panel photos.. Was thinking that the current EGT Gage location would work good for the EDM-730, but if the 830 can be used in place of the tach, then can up on the top row would be better... Where the CHT gage is is worthless... can not see it... what should go there??..

CHT probes... what type is used for both the 730 and the 830??.. hope not the under the sparkplug type, but then where do the other types go??.. saw an allen socket plug on the upper side of the cylinder on the intake side, is there where they go??.

Installation: I do all the work on my plane, over watched by my A&P IA.. is the EDM equipment installable by the owner or is it a SHOP Install only.. In my day job, I manage 20 Manufacturing Engineers working on building composite aircraft and engines... I know my way around both mechanical systems, and electrical equipment along with sheet metal and composite airframes... just really need to see the instructions for the unites...

Other than the EDM-730 / 830, what other types would be good??... overall cost needs to be in the less than $2750 range to fit into life in the next few months. I was going to install the Garmin GDL-82 for ADS-B out, but think that knowing how the engine is running may be more important this year... ADS-B next year then.

Thanks, Looking forward to learning more and getting a solid plan moving forward....

Latest posts

Back