• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Inactive engine, pull plugs, hit starter until oil pressure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domenick

Reaction score
In the winter I'll not fly for up to a month. I've always cringed at first startup, imagining the wear that is occurring. I don't remember where I saw this suggestion, but I did archive it, and I'm putting it out here for comment:

Remove the top plugs and squirt some penetrating oil in the cylinders, then turn the prop by hand to feel for any surprise restrictions. If there are none I'd leave the plugs out and crank the engine until it registers oil pressure, then install the plugs and fire it up.

Latest posts

Back