• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Importance of situational awareness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEG916

Reaction score
I thought I would share a recent story.

I recently shot an approach into VNY. The conditions were overcast, tops at 5000 - 5500, bases around 3500 so I did not expect there to be any issues, as the weather was well above the minimums. ATC was vectoring me for the ILS 16R. I had an instrument rated co-pilot so I was happy to have a second set of hands to work the radios and a second set if eyes to ensure we were safe.

I was on a northbound heading at 5000' parallel to the ILS. ATC gave me a descent to 4000'. As I started the descent, they gave me a turn to the left, about 70 degrees. "Vectors for sequencing." Passing ~4300' on my way down ATC called to us to "climb immediately, minimum vectoring altitude in your sector is 5000'. Expedite climb." I looked at my co-pilot and he looked like he was taken aback as I was. I pushed in full power, and I told the controller that I would comply, and I thought she had told me to descend.

Post flight post mortem. Both my co-pilot and myself had heard the controller tell us to descend to 4000. There was another tail number similar to mine, but not too similar, and the contoller was using abbreviated call signs. It is possible I picked up a descend clearance for the other aircraft, but if that was the case, both of us would have misheard the controller, and she she did not catch the error when we read back the descend clearance. I tried to find this recording on live ATC, but I could not. I believe the error was on the part of the controller, but I can't be 100% sure.

Had we turned to the right to intercept the approach course, this altitude did not seem unreasonable. We were outside of the FAF which has a crossing altitude of 3800'. Turning to the left however put me Uncomfortably close toobstacles as high as 3700' to my 9 O'clock, and climbing terrain fairly far away straight ahead of us. I knew where we were, but I was concentrating more on being bounced around in the clouds and following instructions than I was on double checking ATC. I am glad she caught the mistake, because I am not sure I would have.

I wish ATC published their minimum vectoring altitudes for situational awareness. VNY was my alternate for what was otherwise a VFR flight. I am somewhat familiar with the area, and had plenty of time to brief the approach while we were still in smooth, clear air.

Any advise from higher time IFR pilots is appreciated, as my instrument experience is limited.

Latest posts

Back