• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IFR X-Country Last Night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netsurfr

Reaction score
Scheduled my IFR check-ride for the first week of May. Finally! CFI turnover (on my 4th one) at the school I use has dragged this on but I'm finally ready.

Had one heck of a flying day yesterday. Started out earlier in the day w a phase check where CFI put me through the ringer with lots of altitude/heading and clearance changes during busy phase of flight shortly after takeoff under hood. Then had me do slow flight, stalls, unusual attitudes and finally an RNAV down to minimums and then the missed then vectors for 2nd RNAV approach to land w/ a 15K x-wind. Then we takeoff from that airport UNDER THE HOOD (never tried that before). He tells me to put on my hood and adjust so I can only see 3 stripes of the centerline ahead of me and off we go. He then tops all that w/ failing my Aspen PFD so I have to shoot the ILS using my backup instruments. No AP for entire flight. Felt great after I landed!

Later that day. We did our 250 NM IFR X-country flight and could not have had a better trip. Departed at 1730 and landed at 2030. A front approaching delivered plenty of areas w/ radar returns so got some good actual IMC time as well as rain and night flying/landing, unpublished holds and 26 knot x-wind till about 1500 AGL on my last ILS landing at night so great experience. Route was KUES, BAE, V217, GRB, KGRB (VOR A approach) then GRB V9 to MSN KSMN (RNAV 14) and V2 to BAE for unpublished 10 NM leg hold for 20 minutes in soup at night w/ rain before vectors to ILS 10 @ KUES. Luckily freezing temps were 9000 so did not have to worry about it. At 7000 on way back from KMSN we are in the soup but suddenly flew into a "gap" between layers and what a view that was. It was like cloud surfing in IMC.

Overall 4.5 hours of great IFR flying w/ 6 approaches, stalls, slow flight, unusual attitude, partial panel, night flying, rain, and actual IMC. Great day. Now 3 more lessons to brush up on things and hopefully get my IFR ticket!

2016-04-20 19.54.29.jpg

2016-04-20 19.54.37.jpg

2016-04-20 19.14.43.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back