• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IFR question: "Maintain 3,000 until established"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

David Megginson
Reaction score
Interesting discussion over on PoA. What does "until established" mean in an approach clearance? Does it mean you can still descend to MSA (in Canada) or TAA (in the U.S.) as soon as you're in range, or does it mean you actually have to be on a published segment of the approach before descending? I've always assumed the latter, e.g. if a controller told me

"Cleared direct XXXXX for the MyAirport RNAV 30 approach, maintain 3,000 ft until established"

I'd maintain 3,000 ft until XXXXX and then start my descent (assuming that XXXXX is an initial approach waypoint). Most of the pilots on PoA say that you're "established" as soon as you're within TAA range (for the U.S.), even if you're not on a leg of the approach yet.

The interesting point is that the person who posted the original query was already well within 10 nm of the initial waypoint for the approach when ATC gave them the altitude restriction, so if being within TAA range meant that the pilot was already "established", then the altitude restriction would have been meaningless.

Latest posts

Back