• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IFR Noob buying his first plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike444

Mike444
Reaction score
Alright my experienced counterparts, like the title says I have found the plane that I want, but I really have very no knowledge about what I need and what I should stay away from. I have called various avionics shops and have read through many threads but since I have no experience with even training for an IR I could definitely use a little help.

Plane I'm looking at is an archer that looks very clean and engine has low tbo. As for the avionics it is using a kln 90b connected to a Kmd 250 with a garmin gtx 327. How capable are these units? But more importantly can I do my IR with this setup?

My finding have found that its a yes and no. And this is where my lack of experience is becoming my achilles heel. The kln 90B from what I read is IFR capable upon installing a annunciator(what?) and a 337 from the shop(not entirely sure what this is), that labor can come out to about $3-4k if I understood correctly. And then I called a school and to get the IR I have to shoot 3 different type of approaches.

- So my question really is can I use this set up for my Instrument training and check ride if not how can I?

- Do I stay clear from these avionics?

- Alternatives? Am I asking the right questions?

Pics won't upload will try it on a different computer.

20150825_130040.jpg

IMAG2523.jpg

Latest posts

Back