• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IFR checkride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TEG916

Reaction score
I flew my IFR check ride yesterday. We had already briefed the flight profile, and I knew where we were going. I was departing out of KEDU. The DPE gave me a clearance via SAC to MHR which I read back to him. I set up the radios and programmed the G1000. I am quite comfortable in this aircraft, but only did about 25% of my training in it. The rest of my IFR training was with the steam gauges, and a G430.

The run-up went well, and off I went. The foggles went on during my upwind leg. I flew a base, and downwind at pattern altitude. The DPE called out when I was past the airport, and up to 3000' I went direct to the the SAC VOR. I got the ATIS at KMHR before calling Norcal approach.

"Norcal approach, Skyhawk 1234, VFR request," I said.

"Aircraft calling standby, maintain clear of class Charlie airspace," I heard back. I could hear that they were busy, and there were a lot of aircraft on the frequency. We wanted vectors for the ILS after the SAC VOR, so I pulled power back to slow us down. "Aircraft standing by, 8 miles west of the SAC VOR, descend 500 feet immediately!," ATC called.

I started a descent and called," Skyhawk 1234 descending to 2500'."
I crossed the SAC VOR, and made a turn toward KMHR. ATC handed off multiple aircraft from their frequency, and finally called, "Aircraft standing by, say your request."

"Skyhawk 1234, request vectors for practice ILS into MHR followed by a published missed approach." I was issued a squawk. I climbed back up to 3000'. I engaged the autopilot momentarily while I briefed the approach, then clicked it off. I received a couple of vectors around traffic and was cleared for the ILS approach 22L. When I switched to tower I was cleared for the option. I flew one of my best approaches to date down to 200 feet. The examiner let me take a look at the runway and execute a missed approach.

I contacted Norcal and requested a hold at COSKA. After I was set up on the way, I let Norcal know,"After our hold at COSKA, we would like to do an 8 mile DME ark south around SAC, followed by the VOR Rwy 2, approach, terminating in a missed approach, the. A GPS approach at KEDU.

We did our hold which went well. I turned direct SAC, and engaged the autopilot so that I could re-program the GPS, and brief the next approach. I also got the ATIS, the. We to back to hand flying. The examiner had me put my head down for some unusual attitude recoveries. We were pulling some G's before he handed back the controls. These were not the gentle rolls that I was used to when I practiced with my instructor. Still, I recovered just fine.

We arrived at 8.5 miles from SAC. I turned to intercept and got established on the arc 7.8 miles from the VOR. Flying the arc was easy in the G1000. The airplane displays an HSI, and shows you your wind correction. We flew all the way around until it was time to intercept the inbound course for our approach. I turned in too early, and ended up doing somewhat of an S turn to intercept my desired track, but I got to where I needed to be.

It was time to dim the PFD and fly the VOR approach as partial panel. I dimmed the screen, and put the MFD in reversionary. I knew how to do this, but I actually had not practiced it. All my partial panel practice was in the airplanes with the standard gauges. I thought it would be rather easy, since I still had all my indications, but it was harder than I thought to fly the airplane straight with my head almost sitting on the DPE's shoulder, and looking off to the side to see the instruments. I flew the approach OK, but ended up farther to the left than I would have liked. It was still an acceptable approach though, when we got to minimums the examiner let me take a look, and I could have landed from my position. I was almost a degree off from the VOR which was 4 miles behind me.

We went missed, and climbed to the west. The examiner wanted me to demonstrate that I was proficient with the auto-pilot, and I was to fly the last approach on auto-pilot. Lucky for me I had practiced this once before. I leveled off, set up the GPS, and went on auto pilot. We got the ATIS, briefed the approach, and flew hands off. The auto pilot intercepted the IAF, made a teardrop entry, and flew us to the FAF. At this point I took over. We did a circle to land with a sort of modified traffic pattern because there was an aircraft in the pattern that ended up very close in front of us. It was distracting to fly the pattern 200 feet below TPA at the circling mins, while staring at a plane just ahead of me 200 feet above.

I landed uneventfully. The examiner was pleased with my flight. I passed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back