• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IFR Avionics Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jed279

Reaction score
I am considering the possibility of bringing my plane's avionics into this century and would love feedback from those who have already been down this path. A man can only read so many threads and product reviews before it drives him to insanity or action. My current budget is around $15k but I am realizing that doesn't buy much. What would you upgrade first in my position? I am just now wrapping up my instrument rating and would like an IFR capable panel not limited to the non precision and disappearing approaches of yesterday.

Current setup: 1974 PA28-151 with 180 o-360
Apollo NMS 2001 (database no longer updatable), King KX170B, TKM170C, KMA20 TSO Audio Panel, KT76A Transponder no ADSB, STEC single axis autopilot

My goals in this order:
1. ADSB Compliance
2. WAAS GPS w/ autopilot integration
3. Reliable comms
4. Reliable ILS backup capability

Attachments

• IMG_3027.jpeg
    IMG_3027.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3028.jpeg
    IMG_3028.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 49