• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

IFD100 "app"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just reading through Steve's latest post (on Avidyne Live) about his testing/using the new IFD units, and the new IFD100 app in their testbed aircraft. S. Jacobson is the VP for product development for Avidyne.

The IFD100 is a virtual IFD, that runs on a tablet, but it doesn't know it is "virtual", it acts just like a second panel mounted IFD, with full cross-sync and information sharing and control capabilities.

I want my own testbed.

* Orest

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think a lot of folks "get" the utility of this capability. I like to think I'm not often susceptible to hyperbole but here comes a clear violation of that.

This capability is unbelievable. For me, it completely changes the game in managing my cockpit tasks, especially those involving avionics and their role in your flight.

I fly test flights with a dual IFD set up and either one or two iPads running IFD100 and of course the Bluetooth keyboard. I try combos like:

1 IFD5XX, 1 IFD100, 1 Bluetooth keyboard
1 IFD440, 1 IFD100, 1 Bluetooth keyboard
1 IFD540, 1 IFD440, 1 IFD100, 1 Bluetooth keyboard
1 IFD550, 1 IFD540, 1 IFD100, 1 Bluetooth keyboard
1 IFD550, 1 IFD540, 2 IFD100, 1 Bluetooth keyboard

When flying the 550, 540, 100, 100, keyboard combo, it's just sick. It is the full glass cockpit experience.

I apologize ahead of time for any jealousy this may create - patience will have to remain virtuous. I will also say we are pulling the oars as fast as we can to get this all done and shipping and in your hands.

I have three to four pages I typically use in flight so I set each device up to be on one of those pages so I really don't have to touch them at all in flight.

I also am addicted to the Designated Waypoint Info datablock in Release 10.2 and I actually set up a different Designated Waypoint in each device so I have 4 running at all times. The spatial/positional awareness that provides is a quantum leap in capability all by itself.

Here are a few action shots I took yesterday during a flight. It was just me, it was very bumpy, it was an iPhone, and I'm not related to Ansel Adams.

I like to set up taxi chart on the iPad - it's bigger and closer to me.

Taxi_Charts.JPG

Here is a shot showing the Map Syn Vis feature that everybody gets on their IFDs (all flavors) as part of 10.2.0.0.

Enroute_EXO_view.JPG

And here's a shot of my standard config when shooting an approach. 550 is in SVS page, 540 is in Chart view, IFD100 in Flight Plan page, and 2nd IFD100 (out of view from picture) on Map page. Note the glideslope/path indicators in the IFD550, the runway in the distance and the velocity vector which is on the runway.

Instrument_Approach.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back