• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Idle RPM surges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Interesting thing this morning. On cold start and taxi out, RPM at about 900, the engine would occasionally slowly spool down to about 700 on its own. I’d bump the throttle a bit back to 900 and it would be fine for a bit then surge up 1200 or so on its own. I’d bring throttle back down, etc. Seemed to be running just fine otherwise, so I did a normal run up and decided to go ahead and fly. No problems. Perfect. Flew an hour and landed and taxied back in normally with no symptoms. I was leaned back like normal and it was probably 50 degrees outside. It was a clear morning, but a tiny bit of haze still out. It was maybe 8am, before the sun really got to drying things out.

Posted this elsewhere and some thought maybe carb icing. I’d be surprised if that is what it was.

Any thoughts or recommendations on where to start? It’s an O320-E3D.

My next step is to fly it again and see what it does and determine if I can establish any kind of trend or repeatable pattern. Right now it’s a bit of a one off.

Latest posts

Back