• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Ice runway take off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill GJPD

Reaction score
Would anyone have experience in a PA32-300 taking off from an Ice Runway on a lake? I figured a modified short field technique would be best and I wouldn't be able to use brakes for an initial runup. What I planned to first practice from my home field CYTS was 10D flaps before the take-off roll, keep the nose down (level) then 20D flaps at 40mph and pulling back at 60mph into ground effect up to 95mph before climbing out. Drop flaps to 10D at 100' and 25/25 power setting; zero flaps at 500'. Should be able to count on excellent performance with -10 to -20celcius and 300' elevation. Lots of guys fly to Loon Lodge in Temagami for lunch in Cessnas and at least one Bonanza.

Latest posts

Back