• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

I "Snubbed" the Lance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The whistling at the top of the door was annoying, but given that it wasn't next to my head I had yet to deal with it. However with temperatures dropping to the -30 range, my cold feet and backsides prompted me into action. I had considered an inflatable door seal as I have in the Twin Co and A*, but they are fragile and not particularly cheap, so I decided to try "snubbing" it first.

eBay had a kit listed, listed as new old stock, emphasis on old, but the rubber still was still supple and the price was right, so I figured it was worth a try. Prepare to be underwhelmed with what you get for your money, even at eBay prices. Right down to the instructions that look as if they were copied a dozen times before making your copy. But this is aviation.

Took a couple hours to install. Hardest part is getting the 1300L on the backside of the snubber without getting it on everywhere else including yourself. A quick wipedown with MEK to get the excess adhesive off the masking tape so my handiwork didn't come off with the tape and I was done.

Observations? It works as advertised, no more wind noise and the cabin is a good 10-15 degrees warmer. The door is a bit more tricky to close and I had to back off the top latch a turn or so, but other than that is was a cheap fix. If I was to do it over I think I would first use some paper strips to find the loose spots and just snub the places that needed it rather than the entire door. For example on my plane I think the only real problem area was from the top latch down to the main latch, the rest I think was fine.

Here are a few pictures and the provided instruction sheet. I cut off a little piece and included a paperclip as a size reference. As you can see it's not a very big piece of rubber.

Door snubber, rather an odd name... Whistle stop perhaps?

Jeff

Attachments

• Snub 1.jpg
    Snub 1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Snub 2.jpg
    Snub 2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Snub 3.jpg
    Snub 3.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 39
  • Door Snubber.pdf