• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

I Screwed Up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rzitren

Reaction score
Saturday morning headed to the airport to try to fix a spongy right brake on my Cherokee Six. After getting the air out and accomplishing my task, I decided to fly around for an hour. Fortunately , I always taxi to the end of an eight thousand foot runway instead of using an intersection takeoff. As I rotated and climbed about 100 feet above the runway, The right side of the upper cowl rose up and pivoted over and was flapping on the left side. with at least 4 thousand feet of runway in front of me, I immediately cut the power and landed. Other than my pride and a cracked and bent upper cowl, no other damage. In looking back, I was so glad to have fixed my brake issue , That I forgot to latch the right two latches. I believe the cowl is repairable but I am also looking for a top cowl just in case. My plane is a 1973 PA32-300. The original Piper part number is 68780-06. I will be on the phone Monday morning to the usual bone yards but if any one has any extra parts laying around please let me know. Thanks. Rick.

Latest posts

Back