• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

I need some avionics input. 68 Cherokee 180

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpwamt

Reaction score
OK so here is pic of my panel. I want to make this a somewhat ifr a machine tell i save for a nice gps.

As you can see It has an audio panel i dont like, its really sketchy to use, if i adjust the squelch the intercom will cut out all together and everything is so staticy i cant understand anything, but when i find the sweet spot it work goods. And the marker beacons dont work. I aquired a PMA6000M-S What are your thoughts on those? It looks like a nice unit, except for the allen bolt is stripped out that holds the unit into its rack.

I want to remove the king adf, these days all these are good for is listening to AM radio, the indicator dosent work reliably

and lastly it had an apollo loran, I have been reading that the apollo GX55 will slide right into this rack, i just have to put an antenna in.

I guess what im asking what peoples thoughts are on the pma6000m-s, if i can get the mounting screw fixed. Also thoughts on the gx55, and what i good price would be. I have read that the gx55 display cannont be repair anymore, so im kinda leary to spending money on something that cant be fixed.

Down the road i want to put a nice ifr gps with WAAS, but i got the plane pretty cheap due to engine at tbo. Engine runs great with high compression and no oil burn, but engine overhaul is in the back of my mind, which is why i dont want to spend alot of money on avionics right now.

Also I am and A&P and will be doing most of the work myself.

n9me panel.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back