• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

How hot does your Cherokee 235 cowling get after shutdown?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Av8rdan

Reaction score
I have a 1964 PA-28-235 and just went through a maintenance issue where the muffler baffle burned out causing a replacement of the muffler. This (we think) caused the internal temps inside the engine compartment to rise, and as a result, the bottom cowl deformed in two spots with dents. The spots have been repaired and deemed structurally sound. New muffler installed...all is now airworthy per my IA.

But after my test flight today, in 90+ heat, when I returned to the class delta field where I am based and after a long taxi back to my hangar, after shut down, the top cowl was very warm to the touch, and the bottom cowl where the problem was seemed quite warm, and there was still a tiny bit of softness in the fiberglass. After being parked for 10 minutes in the hangar, all these cowling areas cooled and I could easily touch them

So my question is this: I have owned the plane for 5 years and on many occasions after flight have noticed the top and bottom cowls being quite warm to the touch on shutdown. Is this normal for a 235? I have read that since this is a larger engine in basically a 180 cowling, tolerances are less with less air (room) to dissipate the heat while taxiing.

Anyone else ever notice a 235 cowl being warm/hot to the touch right after shutdown after taxi in?

Latest posts

Back