• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hourly cost to operate your PA28?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baron62

Reaction score
Can you share the hourly operating costs for your airplane? I think this would helpful to folks who are considering owership. I'll start with my airplane that I have owned for 3 years and my assumptions.

Airplane: PA-28-181 Archer
Not included: Cost of airplane and hangar
Hobbs hours flown per year: 140 (assume 1.2 x tach because I like to compare to a Hobbs rental)
Included: Insurance, fuel, annuals, repairs, and airport parking fees. No engine reserve included.
Duration of ownership: 3 years

Hourly operating cost: $65/hour

This is for a simple 4 cylinder carburated fixed pitch propeller and fixed landing gear airplane.

These costs are with me doing oil changes and small items that are supervised by my IA. Adding the initial cost of the airplane, hangar, avionic upgrades and engine reserves would more than double this cost. Hopefully when I sell the airplane and hangar someday I will be able to recoup some of those costs. For now, owning my own airplane is priceless :)

A similar rental at my home base airport would be approximately $160/hour.

Latest posts

Back