• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hot starting - the correct way and the wrong way ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZAir

Reaction score
Last week we took a 30 minute flight to Payson AZ for lunch in a PA28-181. From shutdown to finishing lunch was about 45 mins.OAT was about 80 degrees which put the density altitude in the 7000ft ballpark. Attempted a normal "Hot" start-up but she would not fire at all. Some local pilot in another Archer suggested to prime it 2 or 3 times and then try again - which did not work.

Finally thru trial and error, we did get it started but afterward returning home, neither my brother or myself could remember what we did to get it to start - we were just glad to be back home and watching the world cup. We don't usually fly somewhere for less than 1 hour on the ground, so usually the engine is cold by the time we have to return.

So the questions.

1. Hot start - to prime or not prime. ( I vote no prime but I am open to suggestions )
2. Does anyone else have a better method as opposed to what is in the POH ?

Thanks

AirAz

Latest posts

Back