• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

High oil pressure and low fuel pressure:Intermittent Dakota

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaywayEscape

Reaction score
Flight home a few weeks ago was pretty much uneventful and a," get to know the gal," type flight. Few bugs and things but...Been up several times afterwards to get an idea of the airplanes character and traits. The past 2 flight have me a bit concerned though. I'll start with the high oil pressure: (pre-heat was approx 4.5 hrs. Temp about 1ºc- Reiff Turbo…love this BTW)

Normal start and all engine gauges show correct. Oil pressure at 1000 RPM was perfect. Oil temp was warm already and warming to operating temp. (oil temp remained perfect for the entire process) Idled for a bit to set some things up and then taxied for run-up. Advanced to 2000 and watched the pressure climb. All the way up to 90? Just under red line. This was the second time for this. I understand the pressure rise with the eng RPM and all, but even in the pattern, throttling back to slow down, seemed to stay right up there. Taxi clear, now all good but the engine is producing very little power at this point. It makes sense but I'm concerned during flight that the pressure remains so high. I flew 4500' at 19" 2200 RPM- 55%. on the prior flight.

Second: This one's weird because sometimes it's ok, sometimes scary. Same deal as stated above as far as procedure. Start-up, fine. Flip off electric fuel pump, good reading. right in the middle of the green. This is at 1000 RPM. At run-up, 2000 RPM, fuel pump off, watched the fuel pressure fall off to just above 1/2. Sat there waiting for something to at least sputter, nothing. Engine ran beautifully. Elect fuel pump on- pressure right back up to middle range. (So it seem the gauge is proper) Electric off, needle holds ok. Take off, watched the pressure and it's ok but the electric is on so. Land, clear, clean up and turn off the electric, and the pressure drops.

One time it's good, next it's not. It's concerning. I won't fly with passengers until I can 100% trust my airplane. Flew 18 min today and parked her. Right now, it's got spirits.

BTW, in my introduction post, I wrote I couldn't spell well. I should have added that I tend to babble also. Thanks for reading. Any advice is appreciated as always. Shop is closed til Monday

Latest posts

Back