• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hangar Dilemma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N4655R

Reaction score
I am currently out on a Tie Down at a Class C Airport at a cost of $68/Month. I am thinking about moving into a hangar at an uncontrolled airport that is an hour away by car. The hangar at the new airport would be $120/Month and includes electric. Hangars at my current airport have a long waiting list and start at $325/Month. Both airports have a mechanic shop on the field. My current airport does not allow any maintenance at the tie down. The new airport will allow Owner Preventative Maintenance in the hangar, but does not allow an off field A/P to come to the field to perform repairs (I would have to use the A/P at the shop on the field - it is a reputable shop). My current airport requires a lot of security vetting to get access to the ramp and requires recurring driver training to be allowed to drive your car plane side.

Currently, it will take me 25 minutes to get to the airport. I am wondering if the inconvenience of driving an hour to the airport and paying an additional $50/Month would outweigh the convenience of a hangar and the ability to preheat, store plane stuff and be protected from the weather.

Am I just trying to justify this by saying it's only a 35 minute difference to the airport?
Oh, and 100LL at my current airport is $5.80/Gallon. I paid $4.19/Gallon at the new airport today.

I'm thinking that thus is a no brainier, but feel like I am missing something.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back