• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Halon 1211 Fire Extinguisher Alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H3R

Sponsor
Reaction score
Halon 1211 is still available and the best option to fight a fire, but did you know we have a couple of alternatives available?

Halotron 1 is the most widely tested and accepted Halon 1211 alternative. Our smallest Halotron 1 extinguisher available is the 2.5 lb B385TS. In addition to Halotron 1, we now offer Halotron BrX! Halotron BrX is a great alternative to Halon 1211 as it has a low global warming potential and very low ozone depletion potential. Halotron BrX has been approved for use on commercial aircraft and is a UL, ISO, EN, EASA and FAA compliant Halon 1211 alternative. Our most popular Halotron BrX model is the 347.

$1200 is more than my yearly insurance premium! I’m thinking if I’m on the ground, it’s going to burn. 😂 My Halon mounted in both cockpits will suffice for now

It must be made of unobtanium, unicorn tears, and gryffin feathers! Holy Mary mother of God, please tell me that’s a “clerical error” 😂

The key here is just don’t catch on fire, and it’s all good.

That's good news, but curious, why is BrX so expensive?
Halotron BrX is more expensive compared to Halon or other Halon alternative fire extinguishers due in large part to economies of scale. Halotron BrX is a new product that is only allowed for use in aviation, while Halon and other Halon alternatives are accepted for commercial use.

Although a cockpit is a small space, the air is rapidly exchanged with outside air if the plane is in flight. I'd rather use it, than not, if there were flames.

* Orest

Agree, this is not a confined space. Back in the smoking days, if my CFI lit up on a long flight you could see it suck out almost immediately.
There is plenty of Halon left as there is R12 to last for many more years.

I have never heard of or seen a fire (flames) inside a GA airplane. So I’m reluctant to install a fire extinguisher in the cabin of a Cherokee. All of the stories I have heard are electrical in nature. No flame and nothing that a fire extinguisher would stop. Battery and alternator off and fly the airplane.

Latest posts

Back