• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GTN650xi When to Load and When to Activate an Approach?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working to learn the GTN650xi, particularly in approaches with a course reversal where the IAF is crossed twice. The Garmin documentation is not what I would call complete. A big question for me is trying to understand the difference between "load approach" and "activate approach." One thing I have learned is that simply loading an approach does not remove the destination airport from the flight plan. So, your plane will go first to the airport and then proceed with the approach. Not too productive. So it looks like you have to activate the approach, but when? If you activate it too soon, for instance if you on a Victor airway and plan to exit at a specific waypoint and then go to the IAF, if you activate the approach before the exit waypoint you will go straight to the IAF before reaching the exit waypoint. That would not be a good idea for a number of reasons.

So, through some trial and error on both the simulator and in the plane, the right answer seems to be to load and activate the approach at the last waypoint before the IAF. Fortunately, it only takes a moment to select the approach and transition and hit the load and activate button. That seems to work ok, but I have thought I had this unit figured out before and found it launching off on its own adventures. I am sure it was doing exactly what I told it to do--I just didn't realize what I had told it!

Any wisdom to contribute on this load and activate approach question?

BTW, I am also learning the GPSS in the process and it seems like the turns are a bit wider in some instances than I would like. I am tempted to just take over from George and do the turn myself. Anyone else feel the same way?

Latest posts

Back