• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GTN 750xi and VNAV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just got the plane back with the new GTN 750xi and wanted to give a quick PIREP.

If you are considering either a 650 or 750, I recommend you get the coupon from the shop in advance (during the install) for the Garmin training. It is well done but moves very fast on the complex and advanced segments. I found myself going back a couple times to fully understand it. The PC or iPad trainer is a necessity too, makes the transition much easier.

Flew a couple hours so far and after a short time was finding my way around the menus faster than I expected which is good! Again, I think the advanced training helped. First Flight was somewhat bumpy, so a good time to see where the hand holds are to manipulate the touch screen. My glare shield and the 3 bezel hand holds are all good. I was able to get a good hold and touch where needed.

Finally, I decided to tackle VNAV. First time, couldn’t make it work. I do have a Garmin GFC500 so it was supposed to couple. A quick call and a link to Garmin’s newest webinar on VNAV was the ticket. 45 minutes and all of the procedure questions answered. Three main points:

1 - Input constraints on the FPL page and confirm
2 - Set the lowest assigned altitude on the PDF (in my case the G5)
3 - Arm VNAV on the GFC500 prior to TOD

In that order and confirm the TOD is on the map. While flying the VNAV profile, its important to note that it will not yet cycle to a GPS approach that has been loaded and activated. This may be a future option. When you see the GP show up crossed the IAF, and after you have been cleared for the approach, simply push the APR button on the GFC500 and it couples perfectly! I might add that the GFC500 is nothing less than amazing too. Check out the precision of this flight path below...I couldn’t draw it better than that.
DD567AAC-6D54-4648-8A3C-B4F5FFE7BF39.jpeg
83889C27-F009-492F-9C4D-B04B2EF568C8.jpeg
574441C8-7F5B-4F2B-A92C-FF4412C8D348.jpeg

A lot more to learn and proficiency to gain, over all I am extremely happy to have the new technology. Boot up is very quick and the new screen resolution is nice! I’ll report more as it goes.

Dave

Latest posts

Back