• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GTN 650 database update issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoDelta

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this issue?

My Arrow has a GTN 650. No Flightstream devices. To do nav database updates what I have always done is removed the SD card from the face of the unit, plugged it into my laptop computer, and downloaded the update from the Garmin website. (We have a Garmin database subscription.) I then plug the SD card back into the GTN 650, and when I power it up the unit recognizes the update on the card and asks if I want to load it into the unit's internal memory.

Today I flew the plane for the first time since it came out of its annual, during which the GTN 650's software was updated to the latest version (the one that provides a full qwerty keyboard for waypoint entries, which I like very much). Since the time the annual was done the nav database that was in the GTN 650 expired, and I tried to update it using the method described above. The Garmin site loaded the update onto the SD card with no problem, and indicated that it was done successfully. However, when I plugged the card back into the GTN 650 and turned it on the unit did not detect the update. It did detect that the SD card was in place.

Any ideas? Is it possible that with the new GTN 650 software version there is something else I need to do to get the unit to recognize the data update on the SD card?

Latest posts

Back