• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Green oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had an oil change done this weekend and as soon as we popped the drain, the oil was draining out sort of green color. It was changed last about 4 months ago, 40.13 hours on the oil, Phillips XC 20w50, no additives. I never fly the airplane less than 0.8 in one go. Last oil analysis was fine. No issues of note. They did mention that lead was a bit high, but just a bit, not alarming.

Oil this time drained out green. Here is a picture:

5D3B041F-E53B-440F-9B89-4ADF7A3DE6DC.jpeg

Maybe that could be described a "milky" rather than green.

I don't recall the last oil change being green. My IA doesn't either.

So, WTF?

My initial thought is that it has to do with my AOS.

A98FE562-8E34-4475-9B76-9571E4C3B285.jpeg

I think this is an Airwolf unit. I don't know, but I doubt it's been opened up in a long time. Perhaps is nasty inside? Is this supposed to be serviced? Also, I don't think it's getting near hot enough. Right after shut down, I can put my hand on it no problem. Its warm, but not hot. I just picked up an infrared thermometer and I'll shoot it over the next several flights and get some temp readings.

I've started to pop my dipstick after the last flight for the day and let it steam off. Perhaps that'll help in the short term. Oil sample will go out in the mail tomorrow (postal holiday today), so we'll see what that says.

Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back