• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GPS upgrade Decision time...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgan3820

Reaction score
Looking at the website for a major avionics installer/seller. They are offering to swap out my GNS430 non WAAS with an Avidyne IFD440 for $7300 plus the old unit. I expect this option to expire sometime soon as the -430 keeps dropping in value. Now would probably be the cheapest time to get into an IFD440. The other option is to upgrade the -430 to WAAS for $4400. Plus I would add the flightstream 210 for $995 plus install costs, as the ability to transfer flight plans from Foreflight to the panel unit is real important to me. For all of garmin's issues, they do make a nice box. The third option is to pay off my car early. No car payment :) and live with what I have knowing that if the -430 bricks on me, Garmin can fix it and convert it to WAAS.
I know what I have with Garmin customer service but I have heard that Avidyne is a little different with their customer service and that the IFD units have more repair issues than the Garmin units. I am still not sure how much use I will get out of the WAAS units. I am IFR certified and do fly MVFR, but not to minimums. When I do IAP it has always been an ILS. But I know that this may change as I expect to have this plane for a long time as it meets my needs and I don't have Saratoga money, or likely ever will.

I hate these kind of decisions. I know that it sounds wussy, but someone tell me what to do. Orest, I know what your vote is already but I would still like to hear from you :)

Latest posts

Back