• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GNS-430W VOR error

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all -

A week ago, I did a routine 30 day VOR check and discovered a 10° discrepancy between my two radios. I used a local ground check point to narrow down which radio had the problem. The affected system was a GNS-430W connected to a G5 HSI. My avionics guy confirmed that the problem was in the 430 by swapping in another 430: the VOR is 10° off. I flew an ILS on my way to see him and that was spot on, but I realize that that's a different type of signal that is processed differently than the VOR.

He's not seen this problem before and was unable to locate any kind of procedure where he could recalibrate the VOR receiver himself (instead of sending it to Garmin and dealing with their fee structure). Has anyone seen this type of problem with a 430 VOR receiver before and have any idea on what might be involved in a repair?

At this time, I'm not particularly excited about dumping the 430 for a GTN, especially considered the backorder situation that exists for those right now. But I am also wary of how much I want to spend on old tech.

Latest posts

Back