• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

GI 275 System Pics in a Cherokee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Attached are two pix of my GI 275 system in flight. One is a outbound route I planned with a join-up and exit from a Victor airway directly to an approach. Very easy to plan. Second pic is the approach.

This setup is probably typical of what will go into Cherokees or other airplanes desiring to maintain the round gauge cutouts. The three systems are linked and update from the GTN 650xi (also new) datacard. The Aera 660 updates separately but is part of the same update package.

The two GI 275s in the center of the stack are ADAHRS units, one of which is the autopilot version linked to the magnetometer. The third GI 275 unit top right is a MFD which has multiple pages available. In these pix it is set to map display but I switch to CDI at the FAF. Other options are data, traffic, HSI, stormscope, terrrain and weather. All three GI 275s are linked as one system so an entry on one shows up on the other two. Right now OAT only shows up on the data screen but I am told apparently Garmin is working to get a readout on the ADI and to get Density Altitude and TAS readings. The two ADAHRS units are limited in the different functions they can display as they have primary roles. If the primary ADI goes out the HSI unit automatically takes on ADI duties. The large red toggle switch performs this function manually.

I am 70 years old and the units are all easily readable, actually more intuitive than the larger analog gauges. I find I am relying on the airspeed reading in the ADI more than the ASI as it is easier to process on the take off and landing. The ADI is also very sensitive, small trim changes that show up on its VSI window are not discernable on the VSI indicator. Overall, everything works comfortably together with the legacy instruments and radios.

Note the GPSS indication. It took me a while to figure out how to get this turned on and off and then back to heading.

N54461 outbound Gunne V144.jpg
N54461 I95 Approach.jpg

Attachments

• N54461 outbound Gunne V144.jpg
    N54461 outbound Gunne V144.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 27
  • N54461 I95 Approach.jpg
    N54461 I95 Approach.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back