• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Gear Unsafe Light When Testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had my '75 Arrow on the jacks last Monday to test gear one more time since the pump replacement, hoof valve and actuators being rebuilt.
Forgot that the throttle horn would blare with throttle pulled all the way back with the gear fully extended and master on with the emergency/bypass lever not being held up, which got my attention. Can't 'lock' the lever up because I haven't as yet started putting the interior back in so the 'console' isn't installed yet. So the system 'thought' the airplane had no airspeed and needed the gear down.
Gear worked normally EXCEPT that after cycling the gear up and down a few times the 'gear unsafe' light now stays on with the gear up or with the gear down even with the plane sitting on the floor and off the jacks. I have 3 greens but the 'unsafe' light is still on.
I'm thinking that either the 'down' limit or 'up' limit switch is either dirty, out of adjustment, or bad. Of course the cowlings are off and the gear doors are not there.
As of yet, I haven't cleaned up ANY of the three gear areas and there is many years of dirt and old grease on each with the mains being the worst. But I'm actually leery of degreasing and drenching anywhere near those micro switches.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Joe

Latest posts

Back