• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Gear issues...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok y'all, I need your help. I had a pretty significant gear failure yesterday. We just purchased this Lance and got it straight into an annual. During the prebuy, we did a gear swing which showed that once the gear was up, the pump was pulsing every few seconds, almost like it was constantly building pressure back up. So at our annual, the A&P narrowed it down to the "hoof" valve for the emergency gear release and rebuilt it with new o-rings. The subsequent gear swings were all good with no pulsing.

Here comes the fun part. During my flight yesterday, I noticed the ammeter jumping about 10 amps every few seconds and intermittent "gear unsafe" light coming on. Seemingly looks like the issue we saw during prebuy. Entering the pattern, I slowed to roughly 110kts and dropped the gear. Nose gear didn't lock. Cycled it, no lock. After several attempts and a go-around, finally got 3 green.

ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif

The GIF is the gear sag I captured.

On the way home, I flew gear down all the way.

Any ideas on what is going on? Where could there be a leak? No visible hydraulic fluid anywhere either. Going to a mechanic on Monday.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back