• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Garmin GTX-345 WAAS + GMX200 MFD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epopper

Reaction score
I've got 3 short flights done with the ADS-B install.

I chose the GTX-345 with WAAS since the Apollo GPS (non-WAAS) still worked fine and I wasn't interested doing a full retrofit to the tune of $25,000+.

My airplane has the GMX-200 already and I wanted the functionality of the ADS-B in for the display. After a lot of searching online, there was little information on what the GMX-200 would actually do (other than the compatibility matrix buried on one of the Garmin docs) and no pictures that I could find.

The unit functions well, especially with traffic. The traffic displays on the map function and there is also now an unlocked dedicated traffic screen. The FIS-B information also has a dedicated page and it appears that the only information (which the compatibility matrix confirms) that populates is the local radar.

I still can't find a legend that describes the traffic symbology as some of the targets are different symbols.

The GMX-200 was built before the 345 was designed so it reads the transponder as a GDL-90.

The bluetooth feature transmits all of the other data to the iPad and it displays well on Foreflight, very similar to the information provided by a Stratus or Stratux.

As a side note, in the 3 short flights, which were not done to try to comply with the verification procedures, I did pull up the report just to see what it said. The first two flights failed because they were under 30 minutes. The third flight, which was a sightseeing flight around the Chicago area at 2,000 feet, passed all modes except the air to ground test. This was likely due to the fact that the flight began and ended at an uncontrolled field where the ADS-B signal is weak on the ground.

In 3 short flights, the pros of the GMX-200 with the enhanced information are:

1) Traffic! This is worth the whole hassle and cost all by itself. The system also announces traffic with a voice when there it detects closure or close proximity.

2) The AHRS is there, calibrated, and ready to go with the push of a button on the iPad. For IFR and possible vacuum failure, this is invaluable information to enhance partial panel. Actually, partial panel is now a thing of the past IMHO.

3) I haven't had the opportunity to fly with lots of weather close by but the radar composite display will be very helpful on the MFD and the iPad. It does appear that the radar does not display on the map but only on the dedicated FIS-B page.

The questions that I have are:

1) Will the GMX-200 software be updated to recognize the 345 and possibly have more display functionality? The first thing that comes to mind is TFR's. METARS and TAFS and other airport specific items may be better found on an iPad device as the GMX-200 doesn't have an easy scroll feature.

2) Is there is a way to have the traffic screen display on one side of the split screen function? So far, I can't get this to happen.

3) Is there any written guidance on exactly what this system can do? The component manuals are silent.

IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4712.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4715.JPG

Latest posts

Back